August 27, 2008

I wouldn't of asked but there are so many generous people out there who convinced me to.....

As you may have read in other posts or chats, I've started I'm planning a fundraiser to help us with program and life costs for our 7 year old Felicity who has sever Autism.

Felicity was diagnosed at 12 months of age and we were told by the doctors and professionals she would never talk and would forever stay in 'her little world' with no hope of us contacting her - ever! They said put her in a 'special school' and maybe they could teach her to 'cope' with the world.......
As any parents, or anyone with a child in their life would know - that just wasn't good enough for us so we searched for a better option and have finally found an amazing program - The Son-Rise Program run by The Autism Treatment Centre of America.
We have been working with Felicity in The Son-Rise Program™ for 2 years now and for the first time in her life she is using words and wanting to engage in social activities with those around her - it's so exciting to watch. She called my hubby Dad for the first time in 7 years just a few weeks ago!!!! take a look HERE at Felicity now. Playing in the backyard with her dad and using her new word 'UP' over and over!
My family and I live in Sydney, Australia and sadly this amazing program is not available here, so we must travel to the United States for the four separate training courses and further development of Felicity's program - but as I'm sure you could understand this is expensive.


We, along with two other families with Autistic children, Hannah and Blake, are holding a HUGE, Masquerade Ball fundraising event - Behind The Mask Of Autism - in mid November this year and would love if we could get your help!
We are asking that you please consider donating something in the form of a item that we can include into a themed (kids, ladies, men's etc etc) hamper/basket from to be auctioned on the night and help us in creating a night 'not to be missed' for our special children.
We have built a web site, www.intellectualdisability.org with further details on the event, the children you would be helping and their Program for you to understand exactly what an amazing gift you would be giving.
Your stores will be mentioned on the night and will be in a 'take home' pack that all who come will receive as well as being mentioned in local papers who are doing both pre and post articles about the event.
Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.
All of the three families and I thank you in advance for your consideration.

Yours Sincerely,
Amy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must have been so amazing to hear your daughter say Dad for the first time! Best of luck with this event!

Giggleberry (Amy) said...

Thanks Leah - she said it wanting him to finish his lunch so they could play - you've never seen someone jump up from a meal so fast in your life! LOL

Abby said...

I would be thrilled to donate something(s) to help bring you here to the US!! Convo me any details...
Abby (HolyCraft)

LazyTcrochet said...

I'll email you. I'd love to donate an item or two. Best wishes and have fun at the ball.

Morgan said...

I have photos I would donate if you like. Just let me know

Unknown said...

How wonderful, Amy! Good luck with everything, and I'm happy to donate some prints (my most popular ones) from my shop to include in your fundraiser.

Marisa