October 27, 2010

Rainbow of Ribbons - party food!

Only 4 weeks to go now until Milla's 3rd birthday party. So sticking with the Rainbow of Ribbons theme I have started thinking about the food.
The party is just a casual BBQ at home with immediate family so the good old meat and salad is a 'no brainer' but how can serve a few things to tie into the colourful theme??
No panic - once again Google has come to my rescue! Check out these ideas:




PERFECT! I can do a veggie and dip platter and a fruit and yogurt platter in rainbow!! Yay!

RED: Strawberries, Apple, Watermelon / Capsicum, Cherry Tomatoes, Cabanossi
ORANGE: Orange, Rock melon, Mango, Mandarin / Carrot, Pretzels, Rice Crackers
YELLOW: Banana, Pineapple / Cheese, Rice Crackers
GREEN: Grapes, Honeydew Melon, Pear, Apple, Kiwi fruit / Snow peas, Celery
BLUE: Blueberries (this one is a little tricky)
PURPLE: Cherries, Grapes / Purple Cabbage

Any other suggestions?

Then of course no kids party is complete with out a bit of sweet stuff but I am going to be 'that' mum and limit the amount. So I have plans for a small candy buffet - Nothing spectacular just a small table with some rainbow coloured goodies to nibble on. These are some of the fun sweets I have found for it:


Twizzlers


Rainbow Sour Straps


Skittles - NOTE: The regular Skittles have red, orange, yellow, green and purple ones in the pack. If you want blue ones to complete the rainbow you need to source the Wild Berry Skittles. I found them at an international candy store.

Cute hey? I will have just as much fun setting up all the rainbows of food as I will eating them on the party day... speaking of eating, check out the fabulous plates and napkins I found from HERE

LOVE them!!

Next is the cake.... and no I am NOT doing a rainbow layer cake ;) Stay tuned!!
Giggles

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am LOVING your posts on Milla's 3rd Birthday party!!! Such a great idea, and I think I will be borrowing.....not that I have a 3 year old party to plan for, but any age or celebration needs colour right ???

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Brilliant ideas you are having for this party!! There is so much scope with this theme. I love the healthy yet fantastic looking food options. We had a rainbow party a few years ago in mid summer and we made homemade icypoles using puréed fruit in lines, one color at a time.

There is a very cute free rainbow coloring page on www.stylemegorgeous.com It is a favorite here.

Looking forward to more rainbow party fun!

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

Great ideas! Love the rainbow fruit platter!

Anonymous said...

I love the combination of healthy, creative and sweet treats you're putting together here. Looking forward to seeing the cake!

Timmi said...

This is perfect! I am having a rainbow party for my soon to be 5 year old. I wanted to do a friut and veggie platter. Thanks for doing the work for me and your blog is full of RAINBOWS!!!!

Kristin @ Preschool Universe said...

A nice and nutritious take on rainbow activities.