October 17, 2008

Weekly featured Artist - Gwen of Tymely Designs


I absolutely adore Gwen's work!!! I think her plaques are stunning and each one is so unique!! Take a look through her many design options at www.tymelydesigns.com

Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
My name is Gwen and I live north of Boston, MA with my husband of 16 years and our 6 year old son. I am formerly an elementary school teacher who has been at home since the birth of our son. I have always had an interest in art and creating. I've always making something! The first plaque that ever made was for a friend's birthday. I received such a positive response that I got a router, learned how to do some woodworking and basically took over my husband's workshop. I attended a local craft show and that is how it all began. My company is named Tymely Designs, LLC after our son, Ty. Tymely Designs, LLC creates custom, personalized plaques for all occassions. Tymely Designs is a one woman show. All of the work is done by my hands, from woodworking to website building to packing and shipping. I cut the stencils myself and I do all of the script lettering by hand. Each plaque is custom made, one at that time. They are not printed or silk screened and there are are no vinyl letters on any of my signs... it's just lots and lots of practice. I have a partnership with American Forests to plant one tree for each plaque that I sell through them. It is my personal goal to donate 300 trees this year.

How long have you been creating your craft?
I have been making plaques since 2004.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it?I have learned to take some leaps and step outside of my comfort zone. When I first began, if someone asked me to do a large custom piece I would say no and only stick to what I knew I could do well. I've learned that I can do different things and some of my most popular designs have come from my clients' ideas.

Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
I love my wedding plaques because I love it when people send me photos of themselves at their weddings holding a sign. It makes me feel very honored to be a part of their special day.


Is there a basic ‘household’ item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual ‘tool’?
I find it beneficial to have q-tips near by to fix mistakes quickly.

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
Almond Joy. I love coconut and the protein in the almonds makes it a health food bar... right?


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
I'd love to go to Greece. I love seeing thing that have withstood time. I am amazed by what can be done without mechanical power and what can be done by manpower.

I was floating through Gwen's store HERE recently to try and figure out the perfect plaque for me when I noticed her gorgeous 'Holiday Line' - perfect for Halloween coming up and Christmas too!!!
Thank you Gwen for sharing with us.

4 comments:

Carley said...

Can see why you featured these - they are gorgeous!!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Beautiful!

Pieceful Bits said...

Amy you have been tagged. check my blog for details!
(~~)
Julie

Alisa Noble said...

Lovely work... thanks for sharing.